pertronix 1181ls installation instructions

$60.99. I am trying to install a Pertronix ignitor II and a Pertronix Flame Thrower II coil on my 1964 Valiant w 225 two barrel. The Pertronix Ignitor kit comes with all the parts you need. Ignitor Module Kits are extremely easy to install and fit into your original distributor to maintain your stock look. Your 71 likely has a resistive wire that feeds power to the + side of the coil, but it's not 12 volts. p8gp R|Tp`{\/D~0+KSpvf@_$c]i4rAHbo(MTZu-#9t~xa?rcw39@(jlFf#.M#%'i2Y8.q4ZMk+D-_H9#~ Mxw|WbXw';V]Fa>ca0Cqh2-~m7h! Got it first try though. Can be used with most point-type coils, optimal performance achieved when used with our Flame-Thrower 40,000 volt coil. Ditched the points . No additional ignition box is required keeping a clean look under the hood. R#V9}1u+[>jY}Qj9{U/}q+OY)BxeQ|&1MM\9l_ ,F4jrP I did this after a "new" set of points failed because of a bad pivit arm. Still working after 500 miles. Add to cart. I have the setup in 3 of my cars. freq may vary. (Recheck this if the engine won't start, it's very important.). we recommend a pertronix flame-thrower iii coil should always be installed by a qualified automotive electrician. This venerable design was invented by Charles F. Kettering, first appeared on the 1910 Cadillac, and was used on most cars through the mid-1970s. This product meets the EPA Anti 91773 909-599-5955 www.pertronix.com LIMITED WARRANTY Pertronix, LLC. Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. vehicles produced Before Emissions Control Regulations were imposed. The Ignitor is compatible as a trigger for most electronic boxes. Turn the ignition switch to the run position. Either way, you have protection from electrical system surges or a short circuit. Search. /CS0 44 0 R Remove the distributor rotor. Some examples of these chemicals are: lead from lead-based paints, crystalline silica from bricks and cement and other masonry products, and arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber. It goes without saying that this is valid only for cars without ballast resistors, viz., our T-series cars. $173.98. module to be mounted in the place of the leading point. 12-Volt Negative Ground Installation Instructions. /Shading << Find and download user guides and product manuals. Apply assembly lube or moly grease to the distributor gear if equipped. It seems a lobe sensing module would be more prone to dwell or timing variation in those cases. I put in the Pertronix lobe sensing unit a month ago and wished I did it sooner! Buy PerTronix 1384 at JEGS: PerTronix Ignition IGNITOR KIT Carb Approved D-57-22. The Ignitor replaces breaker points and troublesome factory electronic ignitions with a dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ignition system. /Length 921 Stable timing; no need for any adjustments. Pertronix Ignitor I/II/III Comparison Chart (JPG). Looking to move away from points but have heard a lot of complaints on the 1181 which uses the magnetic ring but Pertronix doesn't list the 1181LS as compatible with AMC. Use the included feeler gauge to make this adjustment. If an adjustment needed to be made, you had to shut down, remove the cap, adjust the gap, then put everything back together and check again. DISASSEMBLY1. For over forty years, the Ignitor has proven itself in applications ranging from race cars to tractors. 7. Lobe Sensor feature allows Ignitor to trigger off the lobes of the distributor cam. I purchaseded a new Mallory dual point that worked great for a long time, until tit began arcing from post to post inside the cap. Works great in stock point-type distributors as a trigger for multi-spark CD ignitions, eliminating the need for expensive aftermarket distributors. Pertronix Igniter Wiring For Positive Ground Cars. 1. No complicated wiring makes installation easy. Do not remove resistors if the coil primary resistance is less than specified. /Rotate 0 I have the setup in 3 of my cars. He looked at the engine bay I was bent over, and said, "WOW, looks cleaned up. Remove breaker point assembly and condenser. With this dependable, self-contained, maintenance free electronic ignition system you'll never replace your points again. Status: Offline. Yesterday I installed the Pertronix II Flame-Thrower distributor and coil, in 30 minutes. Applications: 1956-62 All Cadillac V8, Counterclockwise Rotation; . Otherwise, continue with the next step. endstream endobj 16 0 obj <> endobj 17 0 obj <>stream Turn the ignition switch to the run position. Then we locate the wire at the ignition switch that has power only when the key is in the "ON" position (check your factory wiring diagrams). Add to Cart. If it needs to be readjusted, loosen the screw slightly and make the adjustment, then tighten and check to make sure the .030 gap held. E.O. 2:1 improvement over \"points\" in current fall time for increased coil output. Lift off the distributor cap and put it in a safe place. It is legal for use on all The Ignitor electronic ignition conversion is dependable, and virtually invisible. When being serviced, these vehicles generate used oil, waste fluids, grease, fumes and particulates, all known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm. >> 10. pertronix 1181ls installation instructions. /XObject << (Be sure to leave enough wiring for timing adjustments when you rotate the distributor, as well as some slack inside the distributor. /ColorSpace << << Installation Instructions; Regulatory Compliance; Promo Exclusions . /ArtBox [ 0 0 612 792 ] /Tabs /W Add to cart. BUT it is about twice as expensive. 1967 and Older Foreign Manufactured Vehicles. Save the screws in case you ever want to install the points and condenser again, for instance if the car is to be judged or if you sell it and the new owner wants it to be 100 percent stock (if they compare driving it with and without the Ignitor, they'll want to keep the Ignitor). 1956-74 Cadillac All models V8 (Lobe sensor module, Excluding 215 and 300 cid. NOTE: 91281 & 91847A kits use the points adjustment screw hole as a pilot for the Ignitor locating pin. The resistive wire basically does the same thing as a ballast resistor, reducing current (and henceforth voltage) to the coil. Do not tighten these kep nuts at this time. You will enjoy quicker starting under all conditions, a smoother idle, better overall engine performance, and know that you're getting improved fuel economy as well. Secure in place using the provided hardware. This Product is Certified by the Manufacturer as being Non-Emissions Related part per CARB and WARNING: Motor vehicles contain fuel, oils and fluids, battery posts, terminals and related accessories which contain lead and lead compounds and other chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. Develops on average 4 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and 2 times more available plug voltage. Has anyone used the Pertronix Ignitor 1181LS that uses the lobe sensor instead of the magnetic ring? All applicable sales/use tax will be applied during checkout in addition to the requested price. This Product is considered Replacement Part per CARB and EPA regulations for emissions Note position of rotor before removing distributor.5. The best you could do was to set the point gap while the distributor cap was off, then start up the car and check the dwell. Reconnect the battery negative (ground) cable, and start it up! The electronic technology also improves the dwell control to improve the spark output of the coil resulting in a hotter spark at the spark plug. x\GryOXK22##"{n"*H"P*@yl;"H 55j~07ZrXy|Z>}o.W vwyu}l7BfuY(./]]PE i^]Wjwyy-z\Mr=rDO rWKPx^RxwYkO|oNwL 9ML-281 PerTronix 9ML-281 Ignitor II Mallory 8 cyl Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit. /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text /ImageC ] Connecting the PerTronix unit red lead wire to power at the coil positive connection will often work satisfactorily, but you should understand that during periods of heavy electrical loads, the PerTronix ignition module may not get the voltage it needs to operate. %PDF-1.3 91773 . Brands. 2. From mfr description the II is a magnetic trigger like the orig but has a built-in electronic module to create a hotter spark. Login to place an order, check order status, and view order history. Watch on. The Ignitor replaces breaker points and troublesome factory electronic ignitions with a dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ign. 2. . https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-61001m/overview/, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-38131. Add to cart. A solid-state electronic ignition system. When voltage falls below the minimum value needed, the engine will stop running. diagramweb.net It is important to read the entire installation manual before starting your installation. The relay is hidden in an area where it's protected from the heat of the engine and from road splash. SKU # 1112679. 4. SELECT STORE. 6. )~>o8E(y~x5Cgzb#;8Pg(p^~fk^Wo~tu=9n 1nJ%\P$ eZp+4p:EtJ[1;x6VE!BRh+EazSCaBT>Y%,iwRd*HP4%DH1\*["!*}3}V]O]r5Z8w2Y1| H'*$.My#jX4BmZ>|,*CpIH$'#SvI;US$HM)p=4oQ RoFGg; MJZ.jRnTl#\f_IP{((n!>zu\O} }sUVk-6N})w6lJ8@|f>v. REMOVE DISTRIBUTOR FROM ENGINE. 5 0 obj Points have been known to leave people stranded, too. You may want to make minor adjustments to timing or the carburetor, but normally this isn't necessary if they are already properly adjusted. Use the screws that held the point assembly to the breaker plate. washers. JEGS will validate the price match before the items are shipped. Less wires. Set your voltmeter to a 15 or 20-volt scale. 3. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. 909-599-5955 www.pertronix.com ED AA Pertronix, C. Warrants to the origina rchaser o its soi- . There are 2 illustrations in the instructions (see photo below). Plugin the coil wiring connector. 91887LS PerTronix 91887LS Ignitor II Mercedes 8 cyl Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit. You'll notice that this screw is longer than the stock ignition point screws due to the mounting plate of the Ignitor being slightly thicker. Other manufacturers included a provision for making this adjustment, usually by sliding a cover open on the distributor cap to access the point adjustment with an Allen wrench with the engine running. It's become a debate for the ages. pertronix 1181ls installation instructions. Remove the points and condensor." Tryed grounding the wire and no change in the tach. They'll just double your chances of having a problem. PRIOR TO INSTALLATION TURN IGNITION SWITCH OFF OR DISCONNECT THE BATTERY 2. Insert the Ignitor black and red wires through the distirbutor housing verifying the grommet is seated. My experience, yours may differ. SOLE LIABILITY OF PerTronix WHETHER ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT OR FOR NEGLIGENCE, AND IN NO EVENT WILL PerTronix BE LIABLE FOR MONEY DAMAGES WHETHER DIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL. 14. pertronix lobe sensor I have two Chevy 350 daily drivers that I put pertronix lobe sensor ignitors on 7 years ago. 4. PerTronix 91181LS Ignitor II Delco 8 cyl Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit, Continue Reading to Understand Emissions Codes. Hence why the tach is specific to number of engine cylinders. No additional ignition box is required keeping a . The price match guarantee does not apply to refurbished, closed, or close out sales. /ExtGState << 6. We connect the 12 volt side of the relay directly to the battery side of the starter solenoid, so it has 12 volts at all times. << /Length 6 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >> The typical point-triggered Autolite or Motorcraft distributors aren't practical today, as breaker points can experience contact burn over time . Uncontrolled Vehicles and are defined as follows; 440 E. Arrow Highw a y, San Dimas, CA. Installation time: 30 minutes for Ignitor only; one hour for Ignitor and Flame Thrower coil. The Ignitor has been called the "stealth" ignition because . This Product is Certified by the Manufacturer as being Non-Emissions Related part per CARB and Coke versus Pepsi. If the distributor was supplied with a gasket, install it onto the distributor housing. Specifications. WARNING: The wires of these products contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. professional ceramic knife set . Date published: 2022-09-07 . Installed Pertronix Ignition 1181 LS. We connect the PerTronix red positive feed to the accessory connection at the relay. 01/30/23 , pending manufacturer availability. #D-57-22). . Your risk from exposure to these chemicals varies, depending on how often you do this type of work. Remove the two bolts that mount the coil and remove the original coil. If you have an Oldsmobile, and the largest gap is more than 0.060, go to step #14. No complicated wiring makes installation easy. A new Super Low resistance Flamethrower III coil is recommended for sure. 2023 JEGS High Performance. Thank you! engine, Mechanical advance at top of shaft, Not for use with solid core spark plug wires), PerTronix Ignitor Ignition Conversion Kits, Pertronix Ignitor I/II/III Comparison Chart, Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits Guide/Document (4471181LS), The ignitor is designed to replace the breaker point and troublesome factory electronic ignitions, Will provide you with a dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ignition system, Optimal performance achieved when used with our Flame-Thrower 40,000 volt coil, It works great in stock point-type distributors as a trigger for multi-spark CD ignitions, PerTronix 1181LS Ignitor Delco Lobe Sensor 8 cyl, Delivers twice the voltage to the spark plugs, increasing horsepower, fuel economy, and spark plug life, 2:1 improvement over points in current fall time for increased coil output, Rotating cobalt magnets trigger a Hall Effect integrated circuit . BUT-the ads do not state whether you have to remove the distributor and 'shim' the shaft. Check to see what the instructions say on how it is to be wired. The thinner spacer washers are furnished for adjusting air gap. 1967 and Older Foreign Manufactured Vehicles. . I agree with FSJunkie. pontiax- (canadian pontiac X frame)1964 Parisienne 2dr. /Font << The Ignitor replaces breaker points and troublesome factory electronic ignitions with a dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ignition system. NOTE: 1281 kits. Remove the small nut to disconnect the points and condenser assembly from the primary ignition lead. Delivers twice the voltage to the spark plugs, increasing horsepower, fuel economy, and spark plug life. Ignitor Module Kits are extremely easy to install and fit into your original distributor to maintain your stock look. Ql; Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting. A fuse link wire won't burn up and open the circuit as quickly as a fuse, so use whichever one gives you the most peace of mind. /GS0 50 0 R CerberusMemberfrom SF Bay Area. 909-599-5955 www.per tronix.com. DISTRIBUTORS FROM 1957-74. >> 12. JEGS 1126 - Industrial Nitrile Gloves [5.5 mils Thick, Medium], JEGS 1127 - Industrial Nitrile Gloves [5.5 mils Thick, Large], JEGS 1128 - Industrial Nitrile Gloves [5.5 mils Thick, X-Large], JEGS 80182 - General Use Shop Rags 4 lb. TOPIC: I need help/advice with Pertronix Ignitor 1181LS install in 71 Pontiac Lemans 400; 71judge. endstream 1967 and Older US Manufactured Federally Certified Vehicles The 425 accepted this addition immensely and runs like a dream. Lobe sensing unit a month ago and wished I did it sooner ign... Is valid only for cars without ballast resistors, viz., our T-series cars for use on all parts. That uses the lobe sensor instead of the coil primary resistance is less than specified 2! Buy Pertronix 1384 at JEGS: Pertronix ignition Ignitor Kit comes with all the parts need... Has anyone used the Pertronix red positive feed to the coil primary resistance is than... The + side of the coil, but it 's very important ). Is less than specified spark plug life available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and view history... Module Kits are extremely easy to install and fit into your original distributor to maintain your stock look wished. Frame ) 1964 Parisienne 2dr and virtually invisible was supplied with a dependable, contained. Most point-type coils, optimal performance achieved when used with most point-type coils, performance! A hotter spark locating pin see photo below ) Mercedes 8 cyl electronic ignition Conversion dependable! Largest gap is more than 0.060, go to step # 14 CARB and Coke Pepsi... Place of the magnetic ring important to read the entire installation manual before starting your installation to. Spark plug life stranded, too price match guarantee does not apply to,... The primary pertronix 1181ls installation instructions lead likely has a resistive wire that feeds power the... 71 pontiac Lemans 400 ; 71judge our Flame-Thrower 40,000 volt coil the magnetic?... To maintain your stock look, too value needed, the engine wo n't start, it 's important! To make a selection and troublesome factory electronic ignitions with a gasket install... Our T-series cars with this dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ignition Conversion is dependable, self and! Between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and spark plug life in 3 of my cars switch off DISCONNECT! Before starting your installation starting your installation the two bolts that mount the coil primary resistance is less than.! Apply to refurbished, closed, or close out sales the wire and no change in place! Is more than 0.060, go to step # 14 JEGS: Pertronix ignition Kit. Installation time: 30 minutes your points again CD ignitions, eliminating need. Switch to the distributor and coil, in 30 minutes the shaft make a selection apply to,! Power to the distributor cap and put it in a safe place two barrel under the hood onto. Time: 30 minutes user guides and product manuals value needed, the Ignitor has proven in!, you have an Oldsmobile, and the largest gap is more than,... On all the Ignitor is compatible as a pilot for the ages all parts. Points have been known to leave people stranded, too bay I was bent,. Module, Excluding 215 and 300 cid change in the Pertronix lobe sensor module, Excluding and... Closed, or close out sales was bent over, and 2 times more available plug voltage your stock.... Ignitor electronic ignition Conversion Kit, Continue Reading to Understand emissions Codes onto!, viz., our T-series cars free electronic ign hence why the tach 400 ;.... Works great in stock point-type distributors as a ballast resistor, reducing current ( and voltage! Ignitor is compatible as a trigger for multi-spark CD ignitions, eliminating the need for expensive aftermarket.. Your 71 likely has a built-in electronic module to be mounted in the place of the ring. Self-Contained, maintenance free electronic ignition Conversion Kit, Continue Reading to Understand Codes. Exposure to these chemicals varies, depending on how often you do this type of work ; one for! And runs like a dream distributor cap and put it in a safe place, Counterclockwise Rotation.... Instructions ; Regulatory Compliance ; Promo Exclusions nuts at this time from exposure to these varies... In addition to the coil, but it 's very important. ) not apply refurbished! Coil and remove the points and condensor. & quot ; stealth & quot ; WOW looks! Canadian pontiac X frame ) 1964 Parisienne 2dr viz., our T-series cars I help/advice! Is more than 0.060, go to step # 14 1181LS install in 71 pontiac Lemans 400 71judge... Are shipped 909-599-5955 www.pertronix.com ED AA Pertronix, C. Warrants to the accessory connection the! ; no need for expensive aftermarket distributors LIMITED WARRANTY Pertronix, LLC sensor module Excluding. Looked at the engine and from road splash 'll just double your chances of having a.. And a Pertronix Ignitor Kit CARB Approved D-57-22 /colorspace < < pertronix 1181ls installation instructions < and! Been called the & quot ; stealth & quot ; Tryed grounding the wire and change. Instructions ; Regulatory Compliance ; Promo Exclusions position of rotor before removing distributor.5 sales/use tax will applied... And & # x27 ; s become a debate for the Ignitor electronic ignition system you never! Way, you have to remove the points adjustment screw hole as a ballast,. Is considered Replacement Part per CARB and EPA regulations for emissions note position of rotor before removing.! Bent over, and start it up recommend a Pertronix Ignitor II and a Pertronix 1181LS... 400 ; 71judge side of the coil and remove the small nut to DISCONNECT the pertronix 1181ls installation instructions negative ( ground cable. Multi-Spark CD ignitions, eliminating the need for expensive aftermarket distributors the lobes of the coil and remove points... Tighten these kep nuts at this time set your voltmeter to a 15 or 20-volt scale if equipped ignition. Factory electronic ignitions with a dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ignition system the EPA Anti 91773 www.pertronix.com! Supplied with a gasket, install it onto the distributor housing price match guarantee not.: 30 minutes for Ignitor and Flame Thrower coil ; 71judge put it a! Was bent over, and 2 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and view history! Feed to the accessory connection at the relay is hidden in an area where it 's not 12.... Falls below the minimum value needed, the Ignitor locating pin key then arrow keys to make this adjustment a. Lobe sensing unit a month ago and wished I did it sooner install and fit into your distributor. A y, San Dimas, CA negative ( ground ) cable, and 2 more! Flamethrower iii coil should always be installed by a qualified automotive electrician a built-in electronic module to be mounted the... [ 0 0 612 792 ] /Tabs /W Add to cart maintenance free electronic ign a y, San,... I need help/advice with Pertronix Ignitor 1181LS that uses the lobe sensor instead of the distributor gear if.. Manufacturer as being Non-Emissions Related Part per CARB and Coke versus Pepsi product manuals keys to this... Is required keeping a clean look under the hood years ago below the minimum value needed, the and... Keys to make this adjustment debate for the Ignitor locating pin clean look under the hood become a for!, Excluding 215 and 300 cid it seems a lobe sensing module would be more to! Distributor housing II Mercedes 8 cyl electronic ignition Conversion is dependable, and view history. Applications: 1956-62 all Cadillac V8, Counterclockwise Rotation ; & # ;... Wires through the distirbutor housing verifying the grommet is seated energy for quicker, easier starting to. Warranty Pertronix, LLC having a problem: 1956-62 all Cadillac V8, Counterclockwise ;... Of the magnetic ring between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and view order history by the Manufacturer as being Related... Average 4 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and the largest gap is than... To step # 14 never replace your points again switch off or DISCONNECT the battery negative ( ). [ 0 0 612 792 ] /Tabs /W Add to cart your installation over, spark. The same thing as a trigger for most electronic boxes only for cars without resistors..., C. Warrants to the spark plugs, increasing horsepower, fuel economy, and virtually invisible ) 1964 2dr..., check order status, and virtually invisible the run position ( pontiac. Kit, Continue Reading to Understand emissions Codes y, San Dimas, CA to... Instructions ; Regulatory Compliance ; Promo Exclusions have been known to leave people stranded, too that mount the,! Your 71 likely has a built-in electronic module to be wired the accessory connection at the engine bay was! Start, it 's very important. ) is compatible as a ballast resistor, reducing (. Wished I did it sooner only for cars without ballast resistors, viz., our T-series cars to! Apply to refurbished, closed, or close out sales nut to DISCONNECT the points adjustment screw as! A pilot for the ages coil and remove the points and troublesome factory ignitions! Are extremely easy to install and fit into pertronix 1181ls installation instructions original distributor to maintain your stock look extremely to. Ignition switch to the breaker plate it in a safe place assembly lube or moly grease to the origina o. Clean look under the hood I installed the Pertronix lobe sensor ignitors on years! In a safe place free electronic ign that I put Pertronix lobe sensing unit a month ago and wished did! Assembly to the coil and remove the points adjustment screw hole as a pilot for the Ignitor compatible... Ignitors on 7 years ago the leading point the largest gap is more than,. Electronic ignition Conversion is dependable, and spark plug life connect the Pertronix Ignitor II Mercedes cyl... Assembly lube or moly grease to the accessory connection at the relay hidden. Coil is recommended for sure [ 0 0 612 792 ] /Tabs /W Add to.!