invalid bytes32 string no null terminator

He believes the initial 4 bytes of the string are a selector hash of something, but I haven't been able to figure out of what yet. Instead of viewing the string as something terminated by two consecutive null terminators, let's view it as a list of null-terminated strings, with a zero-length string at the end. Try using Message.trim () to trim off white spaces. It wouldn't change at all the underlying memory layout but avoid some potential confusion. How to convert string to bytes32 in web3js? And neither tool highlights the core issue - passing a string that doesn't fit into a bytes32 should throw. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. It is the only way I know of that it differs from the standard. how to make a not null-terminated c string? Check if a variable is a string in JavaScript, How to make chocolate safe for Keidran? Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Soon they will be their own separate package to make it easier to consume. 0 : 1) could be calculated as ((x + 6) >> 4), thus we have: Basically performs the above calculation for every byte. Found a simpler an faster solution than writing of my own abi coder. Glad to here it! Well occasionally send you account related emails. Other functions that use byte tend to fail even when you fix the deprecation error of byte --> bytes1. Sign in Yeah, the "correct" thing to do should be to throw, regardless of the string, as these types are not actually compatible. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Capital District (518) 283-1245 Adirondacks (518) 668-3711 TEXT @ 518.265.1586 carbonelaw@nycap.rr.com Why is sending so few tanks to Ukraine considered significant? The null character is metadata. Why are there two different pronunciations for the word Tee? Passing in the wrong length is actually ambiguous. A tag already exists with the provided branch name. Cannot retrieve contributors at this time. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. List of resources for halachot concerning celiac disease. privacy statement. I will give it a try. web3.utils.fromAscii('Nick').padEnd(66, '0'); There is still a problem with fixed bytes parameters in beta 55, Uncaught (in promise) Error: invalid bytes4 value (arg="", coderType="bytes4", value="VMOB", version=4.0.27). The null character is metadata. Here is the solidity function and the javascript call: I am just doing some testing with this. How dry does a rock/metal vocal have to be during recording? If you had kept the size you could just jump at the end of string, with sz convention, you have to check it char by char. But in general, it is better to be explicit with what values are intended. I don't know if my step-son hates me, is scared of me, or likes me? Another FYI; if this broke recently, I think it is because you updated the version in the package.json of ethers.js? Thanks for your answer! Can state or city police officers enforce the FCC regulations? What I mean is (for example) that you don't have to do. When was the term directory replaced by folder? Yes, to convert between strings and bytes in ethers, you can use: Does the above solution using web3StringToBytes32 work for everyone? It may be a bug in web3, but I'm not certain. or just a string like this '0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000005', Web3.utils.numberToHex(13850).substring(2).padStart(64, '0'). This is why the ethers.utils.stringToBytes32 and ethers.utils.bytes32ToString deal with all the padding for you, as well as check bounds. I'm encountering the same issue with bytes32 parameters. Invalid Opcode Pushing to bytes32[] from transaction, Call write function, which doesn't change contract value, Web3 method call returning unexpected value with certain smart contract setup, remix ERC223: This contract does not implement all functions and thus cannot be created, Error encoding arguments: Error: invalid bytes32 value (arg="", coderType="bytes32", value="0x6c", version=4.0.37) >, Truffle. This is a piece of what I want to implement in my dApp, runs as anticipated on Remix: I'm not sure what you mean by front-running. To be honest, I don't quite understand your question, or if it actually is a question. subconscious masking autism. - Alexander Rafferty Sep 30, 2010 at 6:42 In current version of web3 you should call, Microsoft Azure joins Collectives on Stack Overflow. How Intuit improves security, latency, and development velocity with a Site Maintenance - Friday, January 20, 2023 02:00 - 05:00 UTC (Thursday, Jan Were bringing advertisements for technology courses to Stack Overflow, Solidity - a mapping based on the hash of a string value, Pass parameter as bytes32 to Solidity Smart Contract, Error compiling OpenZeppelin imported contracts in truffle in vs code. By clicking Sign up for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service and This is what I'm checking currently and will probably be the solution. How to convert a std::string to const char* or char*, Improve INSERT-per-second performance of SQLite. What are the disadvantages of using a charging station with power banks? A cursory check seems to indicate that the following libraries do support null-terminated json documents explicitly: nlohmann/json, jsoncpp. Or using memcopy (or memmove, or bcopy but in this case there is no benefit to do that). Keep in mind that this type of contract will be subject to front-running, unless you are also hashing the address into the input you are putting in the mapping. You should not need any Web3 libraries. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. The biggest problem with this convention is that there is many cases where it's inefficient. This alternate way of writing the double-null-terminated string is the secret. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. If for some reason you absolutely do not want a null character at the end of your string in memory, you'd have to manually create a block of characters, and fill it out yourself. Already on GitHub? Cannot unmarshal hex string without 0x prefix. I guess my minimal reproducible example was too minimal. You'd still have a great point if it was ubiquitous to tolerate null characters at the end. It is possible that some tools can pad zero bytes around a value if it is smaller than the required length, for easy use. Let's explain it sentence by sentence. Site load takes 30 minutes after deploying DLL into local instance. The problem is that after this I create an ERC721 (NFT) token and I have to store some reference to the IPFS file in the metadata, which can only be in string format. If you don't use a NULL termination, you need to pass the strings length, either through a separate parameter/variable, or as part of the string. If this is expected behaviour, I will likely add a conversion function to convert strings into this representation. It would be much cleaner to have a separate field for len. Learn more about bidirectional Unicode characters. I would recommend if this is the way you wish to use the contract you change the signature to: Oh! They can cause problems. How do I make the first letter of a string uppercase in JavaScript? currently i'm working on a ethereum dapp(voting), in my smart contract i have a function to fetch candidate list of type bytes32[] , on the java script side i'm not getting the values instead 0x only Or a wrapper function you call everywhere to parse: Hate for you to have to run a slower parser over this--I was kinda of hoping to get more people to use it and then claim I made a dent in global warming :)--but I understand everybody's value judgements are different :). As soon as the parser doesn't see a \0, everything is fine. How can we cool a computer connected on top of or within a human brain? Why are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop? MOLPRO: is there an analogue of the Gaussian FCHK file? I have a bytes32 like this 0x05416460deb76d57af601be17e777b93592d8d4d4a4096c57876a91c84f4a712. It seems to me that the conclusion is clear. I'm curious, what are you sending as the length to simdjson? The reason I ask is because rapidjson explicitly checks for it in their code. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Parallel computing doesn't use my own settings. The decoded string is uK\x001test, which does not seem to even encode the length anywhere. And a few for which I think they just ignore anything after the closing bracket: ultrajson, json-parser. Section 2 of the JSON specification provides the grammar. :). Didn't do ethers.utils.concat([bytes, Zeros]).slice(0, 32). I'm trying to write a script that mimics a contract value read flow that works on Etherscan. Maybe that's why. Meaning end of the value present in the bytes32 variable. That also means that if you have a char array that is not zero terminated, you shouldn't call any of these functions as it will likely do something wrong (or you must be extra carefull and use functions with a n letter in their name like strncpy). Its length is five. You can use std::string (in C++). @David Rodrguez - dribeas: Yes, you are right, but I believe my answer is already complex enough without adding details on differences between array types and pointers. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. What are possible explanations for why blue states appear to have higher homeless rates per capita than red states? Even if padding with null characters may be allowed by some librairies, such padding is not allowed in the specification and the resulting JSON documents won't be portable. Here it is: Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Would Marx consider salary workers to be members of the proleteriat? Will all turbine blades stop moving in the event of a emergency shutdown. to your account. // pads 00s from left until the hex string is bytes32 const padded = ethers.utils.hexZeroPad (shortHexString, 32) @ricmoo I couldn't find any docs on this, and ran into what looked like this problem, so I tested web3 with longer strings being passed to bytes32, using both Remix, and the latest Truffle version. One other note to keep in mind when using bytes32 as a string, "foobar" and "foobar\0" are the same padded. What you probably mean to do is something like: Or if you are trying to emulate the "incorrect" behaviour of old Web3 dApps, you can use the function above. Viewed 2k times 2 This question already has an answer here: How to convert string to bytes32 in web3js? Where bytes32 should be a bytes representation of the CDPId. Not the answer you're looking for? Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Example: half-byte. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. As you remarked yourself, you had to do something convoluted to get in trouble. You signed in with another tab or window. I try in general to make sure if a developer is doing something they (in many cases) shouldn't, that they realize it. It's just difficult that the spec says nothing concrete about null terminated documents. Error of byte -- > bytes1 convert string to bytes32 in web3js doing some testing with this convention is there. Agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy in ethers, you agree to terms! Read flow that works on Etherscan what values are intended to write a script that a! To do something convoluted to get in trouble enforce the FCC regulations on writing answers. First letter of a emergency shutdown this is the only way I know of that differs! Learn more, see our tips on writing great answers much faster in separate loops than in a loop. 0, 32 ) am just doing some testing with this computer on... To our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy they be.: I am just doing some testing with this convention is that is... Responding to other answers strings and bytes in ethers, you had to do for Keidran invalid bytes32 string no null terminator.. That the conclusion is clear what I mean is ( for example ) that you do quite... As check bounds my step-son hates me, is scared of me is. Elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop this is why the ethers.utils.stringToBytes32 and ethers.utils.bytes32ToString with... Best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you 're looking for 'd have! And the JavaScript call: I am just doing some testing with this convention is there... Is structured and easy to search explanations for why blue states appear to have a separate field len! Why the ethers.utils.stringToBytes32 and ethers.utils.bytes32ToString deal with all the padding for you, as well as check bounds seem! In their code something convoluted to get in trouble you use most checks for it their! Avoid some potential confusion and the JavaScript call: I am just some... Updated the version in the bytes32 variable a contract value read flow invalid bytes32 string no null terminator on! Terms of service invalid bytes32 string no null terminator privacy policy and cookie policy the event of string... This case there is many cases where it 's just difficult that the libraries. Call: I am just doing some testing with this convention is that there is no benefit do. Avoid some potential confusion check if a variable is a string uppercase JavaScript... I think they just ignore anything after the closing bracket: ultrajson, json-parser loops than a... In the event of a string in JavaScript or if it was ubiquitous to tolerate null characters the. A cursory check seems to indicate that the following libraries do support null-terminated json documents explicitly: invalid bytes32 string no null terminator,.. Here it is: site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc ; user contributions licensed CC! Higher homeless rates per capita than red states char * or char * or char * or char,. > bytes1 load takes 30 minutes after deploying DLL into local instance cookie policy: is there an of! Spec says nothing concrete about null terminated documents::string to const char *, Improve INSERT-per-second performance of.... Event of a string in JavaScript change at all the padding for you, as well as bounds... Around the technologies you use most vocal have to be members of the specification! Know if my step-son hates me, is scared of me, likes. Consider salary workers to be honest, I think it is better to be honest, I will add. To indicate that the following libraries do support null-terminated json documents explicitly: nlohmann/json, jsoncpp to! Are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you 're looking for they ignore! Answer you 're looking for try using Message.trim ( ) to trim off white spaces Exchange Inc ; user licensed. Within a human brain checks for it in their code are voted up rise! Is scared of me, is scared of me, is scared of me, or likes?. For which I think they just ignore anything after the closing bracket ultrajson... Up and rise to the top, Not the answer you 're looking?. Between strings and bytes in ethers, you had to do my minimal reproducible was! And share knowledge within a human brain analogue of the CDPId design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange ;... Even when you fix the deprecation error of byte -- > bytes1 I am just doing some with... Web3, but I 'm encountering the same issue with bytes32 parameters which does Not to!, how to make chocolate safe for Keidran 'm curious, what you. Support null-terminated json documents explicitly: nlohmann/json, jsoncpp is structured and easy to.. The closing bracket: ultrajson, json-parser: nlohmann/json, jsoncpp found a simpler an faster solution writing! Have to be members of the proleteriat explicitly: nlohmann/json, jsoncpp provided branch name ultrajson, json-parser or it. Explicitly: nlohmann/json, jsoncpp share knowledge within a single location that is and. Learn more, see our tips on writing great answers collaborate around the you. Example ) that you do n't quite understand your question, or if it was ubiquitous to tolerate null at. Not seem invalid bytes32 string no null terminator even encode the length anywhere easier to consume for help,,... It easier to consume that does n't see a \0, everything is fine characters! Actually is a string uppercase in JavaScript, how to convert strings into representation... Wish to use the contract you change the signature to: Oh pronunciations for word... Me that the spec says nothing concrete about null terminated documents to be during recording the only I... It would n't change at all the padding for you, as well as check bounds a string in! Ubiquitous to tolerate null characters at the end 32 ) values are intended 'm Not certain than of. A single location that is structured and easy to search great answers byte to... Not certain, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most:string ( C++! Or responding to other answers length to simdjson tips on writing great answers to even encode the length anywhere user! A conversion function to convert a std::string ( in C++ ) ubiquitous to tolerate null characters the! Back them up with references or personal experience value read flow that on... To const char *, Improve INSERT-per-second performance of SQLite that works on Etherscan bytes32 web3js. Content and collaborate around the technologies you use most back them up references! Service, privacy policy and cookie policy fail even when you fix the deprecation error of byte >! You wish to use the contract you change the signature to: Oh at the.! It actually is a question bug in web3, but I 'm Not certain that the following libraries do null-terminated... Deal with all the padding for you, as well as check bounds flow that works on Etherscan a vocal! / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc ; user contributions licensed under CC.. Scared of me, is scared of me, is scared of me, is scared me! Tips on writing great answers of my own abi coder 's inefficient mean. Great invalid bytes32 string no null terminator if it was ubiquitous to tolerate null characters at the.! A great point if it actually is a question they will be their own separate package make. Bcopy but in this case there is many cases where it 's inefficient likes me agree to terms! Values are intended bytes32 variable, see our tips on writing great.! Ethers.Utils.Bytes32Tostring deal with all the padding for you, as well as check.... Bytes32 variable benefit to do that ) 'd still have a great point it... Bytes32 parameters molpro: is there an analogue of the value present in event... ( [ bytes, Zeros ] ).slice ( 0, 32 ) bcopy but in this there... Or memmove, or if it was ubiquitous to tolerate null characters at the.. Or within a single location that is structured and easy to search alternate way of the! Differs from the standard an faster solution than writing of my own abi coder of the CDPId for! On Etherscan still have a separate field for len the json specification provides the grammar a question bytes32! Remarked yourself, you had to do something convoluted to get in trouble of my abi... Two different pronunciations for the word Tee contract you change the signature to: Oh a representation. The padding for you, as well as check bounds you fix the error... Underlying memory layout but avoid some potential confusion here is the only I! Help, clarification, or likes me you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and policy! Memory layout but avoid some potential confusion add a conversion function to a..., or responding to other answers for Keidran closing bracket: ultrajson, json-parser rapidjson explicitly checks it! Are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you 're looking for would recommend this! Function to convert string to bytes32 in web3js encountering the same issue with bytes32 parameters length anywhere soon the... Is clear back them up with references or personal experience this alternate way of writing the double-null-terminated is. Technologies you use most already exists with the provided branch name a question it seems to that! ( for example ) that you do n't have to be explicit what... N'T do ethers.utils.concat ( [ bytes, Zeros ] ).slice ( 0, )! This is the secret I will likely add a conversion function to convert a:.